Saturday, August 12, 2017

A new Danish friend



 The Icelandic class is over and I met a lot of great people. I admit I was expecting to be one of the oldest people in class, but it was very mixed with all age groups and the chemistry was real good.  I’ve made a lot of new friends. One is Lis Bodil from Denmark. She worked as an au pair at a farm near Bolungarvík for one month back in 1971 (the year I was born!) and she was keen to see if the family was still in this area and maybe visit with them. This kind of thing really interests me so I offered to help. A short message on Facebook got some quick answers, and we found out the only family member still around here is the father, Birgir. So one rainy day we drove to Bolungarvík, and after a quick swim, we went to the retirement home to visit old Birgir. Unbelievable! He remembered Lis just fine and even pulled out an old letter she had written to him over 45 years ago. We made an old man very happy today and it’s so nice to bring long lost friends together again.

Today is the last day here for Lis, so she rents a bike and together we ride into Tungudalur, and then on to Engidalur. It’s beautiful weather and the blueberries are ripe and it’s a fine day to be outside. We continue our chat over a glass of wine at Edinborg and say our goodbyes.  I hope we meet again one day soon in Iceland or Denmark!