Saturday, June 20, 2015

Back home in the icefjord

I sleep soundly until about 5 but just doze until 7, when I finally get up. I have an early flight to catch. The taxi driver to the domestic airport is a friendly guy and we chat in Icelandic, I’m overtired and haven’t spoken it in nearly 6 months, so it’s quite rusty, but it still generates a compliment from him. No matter how poorly one speaks the language, it’s worthy of compliments. The locals appreciate the effort made to speak it and understand the difficulty learning it.   

I check in just fine, ask for a window seat, and for the hundredth time, I get a seat right next to the wheels with very little view. I think it’s obvious if I specifically ask for a window seat, then I’m interested in actually looking out the window and might appreciate a seat with a better view. Granted, the plane is so small, it doesn’t matter where you sit – you will always have a large piece of wing or engine in your view. There are about 30 passengers travelling to ISF today, there are plenty of empty seats on the plane.
At the tiny ISF airport, I collect my bag and bump into my friend Angela’s husband, Peter who is here picking up some guests. He has room in the station wagon so I can ride along. The weather is simply beautiful and welcomes me home with inviting arms. I unpack, buy some groceries, and visit the neighbors for coffee. The cat has gotten a bit pudgy and she’s more calm and cuddly now the older she gets. 
I don’t do real much all day, I’m really tired and take two naps. I make a fine early dinner of lamb and carrots and buy a waffle iron, ready to try my first waffle experiment soon. Later I walk on the beach and discover a purple starfish. I am torn between putting it back into the water and trying to save it, and taking it home to let it dry out and garnish my window sill. It’s still very soft and squishy but seems to be dead. I push it back in the water after a photo session.
There are also two cruise ships here today. The tourists are friendly and considerate and no one seems to mind them a bit. The car tourists are another story. In the evening a German camper van parks in our parking lot and I can see the people having dinner. That’s ok but when I wake up in the morning, they are still there. A public campsite is just 100 meters down the road. I don’t like that one bit.