Monday, July 21, 2014

Ósvör, Bolungarvík







I want to bike to Bolungarvík today. I’ve booked a room with sleeping bag accommodation at Gil guesthouse for 4000 kr. But it’s raining this morning so I poke around until it stops, then shoot out the door and go, which isn’t until around 3pm. It was worth the wait though because it turns into a beautiful evening with partly blue skies and great visibility.


It’s always fun to bike along the old road Ósvör, which is closed for cars. This track, which is actually paved, hugs a sheer cliff on one side and the ocean on the other. It’s one of the most dangerous roads in Iceland due to falling rocks, mudslides and avalanches. Numerous people have died travelling this road throughout the years. But once a year the rocks are cleared for the marathon that takes place here. Nothing can be done though for the sections of road that are disappearing, crumbling into the sea after being pounded by rocks.

After checking into the guesthouse, I ride around town a bit, looking at the old crumbling houses along the sea, inspecting the church inside and out, checking out the huge avalanche walls, and meandering along the harbor. Dinner is at Einarshúsið, and the lamb is good There’s a guesthouse here too supposedly, but they didn’t answer my email enquiry, which I even wrote in Icelandic. The people at Gil were extremely friendly and accommodating so I’m happy to give them my business.

After dinner, it’s quite late but I head out into the mountains for a long walk. It’s too far to walk to Bolafell, unfortunately, since the weather would be perfect to watch the midnight sun. But it’s a beautiful walk anyway.