Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sunburn and snow

I have my first sunburn of the season. My face is red as a tomato and I spend a wonderful 7 hours outdoors today. The sky is clear blue all day and the ocean still as a mirror with no wind. I get up at 6:30 am. The sun shines in my bedroom windows and in sunny weather it’s impossible to sleep. The morning temperature in the sun reads 18°C/65°F though the official high without the sun is only 6°C/42°. 

I’m out the door at 9:30 and on my mountain bike. 
I ride along the old road towards Bolungarvík, stopping along the way for long breaks in the sun, photo sessions or a cup of tea. There’s quite a bit of snow over the road in places but it’s not difficult to get the bike around or over it. While scouting for a good place to cross a snow field, I see another lone biker in the distance. I make acquaintances with Hannes, and we’re going in the same direction and decide to bike together. It’s a pleasant day, Hannes tells me lots of stories about the area and it’s a lot of fun. 

Back home later, I have a quick lunch and head out for groceries, but not before taking advantage of low tide for a walk along the beach and then through town. I admire the seaweed – one of these days I’ll read up on what kind of seaweed is edible and what can all be done with it. After all, I’ve got it in the backyard and it would be great to know what to make with it. The sun is still blazing, not a cloud in the sky. 

After bringing the groceries home, I set out again on foot this time. I hike up behind town, along the avalanche wall and the new one that they’re building. It’s quite muddy and the spring thaw makes the ground real soggy in spots, and at times I cross through the snow. After heading up towards the ski area a bit, I pause at the spot where the grouse like to play. 

No luck, the critters are hiding, so I head back and happen to see Helga out in her garden. I wave and she invites me over for a cup of coffee, and I enjoy petting her two cats. We sit in the evening sun until alas a few clouds come and it begins to get chilly. 

My belly is looking forward to the lamb in the fridge, and I finally go in for the day at 7pm. It’s been a wonderful May 1st. I am happiest outdoors and this was a perfect day!