Monday, December 24, 2012

First Christmas in Ísafjörður



Ísafjörður cemetary on Christmas Eve
The last few years I’ve spent Christmas in Reykjavík, usually alone. I often rent a small flat or take over a friend’s who is away for the holidays. I enjoy being alone in Iceland during the holidays, it’s a quiet time where I just like to cook, listen to the radio or read a good book. This year Súsanna arrives from Reykjavík with our dinner in her backpack. Unfortunately I find out that the oven isn’t working and we end up having to boil the roast (hamborgarhryggur). But other than that, it’s a wonderful first Christmas in my new home, and it even snows a bit. I was able to buy some Christmas  lights on sale yesterday for the windows and my apartment is bright and cheery and feeling homey already. In the evening we take a nice walk through the village and enjoy the stillness. I especially like Icelandic cemeteries on Christmas as they are brightly lit with crosses, lights and windproof candles.