Thursday, August 6, 2009

Home

We spent the last two days in Reykjavík, shopping, drinking coffee, eating lots of wonderful food, meeting friends, swimming, strolling through the old cemetery, and lots more. Ernesto left this morning at 4am and I have a few hours left in Reykjavík to process the events of the last five weeks. It’s raining, as though the weather were telling me it’s ok to go home. I take a morning stroll in the rain, decked out in full rain gear, and end up having breakfast at Tíu Dropar. Leaving is not as difficult as it used to be, because I know that I’ll be back soon. The waitress at my favorite café won’t even notice that I'm gone; I’m already planning my next trip, hoping that I can come back at Christmas and spend more time in this wonderful city. I’ve seen a great deal of Iceland in 11 trips over the last eight years, many of those for more lengthy periods of up to 7 weeks. Already I feel a yearning to get back into the highlands and hike, but that will have to wait. I just may be too busy next year looking for a new place here to call home …